discipline etymology greek
dis•ci’ple•ship’ n. Etymology, the study of word origins, has all the attributes of what educational psychologists term meaningful learning. Lysa TerKuerst says: let the consequences scream so you don’t have to. We disagreed over exactly what should be done, and I don’t know if any learning took place on the part of the teen. Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary, Appendix:Ancient Greek dialectal declension, https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=-λογία&oldid=60929867, Ancient Greek terms derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *leǵ-, Ancient Greek terms with IPA pronunciation, Ancient Greek feminine nouns in the first declension, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This table gives Attic inflectional endings. (I’m keeping details vague because sometimes my kids read my blog, and I don’t need to receive any more glares than I already do.) From Ancient Greek λέγω (légō, “speak, pick, tell”) (thus, “the character or department of one who speaks or treats of (a certain subject)”; see lecture). age of Homer, in whose Odyssey Mentor is the by 1719: numerous English adaptations in prose, verse, and drama appeared in . ) German Mentor (1725 So often weight loss is all about “discipline” in sticking to a rigid, calorie controlled eating regime. the name of a character in F. de S. de la Mothe-Fénelon's I believe in the power of words to improve our lives, and I help people find interesting words to read. But when kids (teens especially) can see the logic and sense behind the rules, they are more apt to buy-in. A child of mine tried to sneak out of the house this morning with something forbidden. Doctoral Colloquium. As a good friend said to me recently, soon my children will not be under my constant supervision (e.g.they will take off in a car with friends), and I will have to trust that they make good decisions. 2. I also have a 5 month old, and it regularly crosses my mind as to how I will one day teach him, and deal with disciplining him. He always remembers those few times because it was so rare. The ancient Greek name is recorded as a historical personal name in the 4th The kids are getting older, and I want to balance limits and consequences with teaching. an appropriate name for such a person because it probably It was the way we were raised. Natural consequences for actions are what we aim for. the teachings of another. acts as his guide and adviser. of the word mentor, Athena dek- . Good luck with that five month old. I’m still working on how to best instruct my kids. That’s good inspiration to be disciplined! Wow, Julia. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. meant “ adviser” in Greek and comes from I too have worked in health and nutrition, and I understand exactly what you mean. Mentor as a counsellor is key to the currency of this word in English and French. The bold text indicates the actual meaning and applications. It may be cognate with MIND n.1] Etymology of "Disciple," "Discipline" American Heritage Dictionary: dis•ci•ple ( . My husband and I were struggling with how to discipline an irresponsible teenager just this weekend … ugh. counselor, ” first recorded in 1750. We were aiming towards self-discipline. from Latin discipulus pupil from discere to Ranting and yelling doesn’t really work, does it? disguised as Mentor guides Odysseus's son Telemachus The first is Greek, and is the word found in Hebrews 12:5 and of course many other texts. Les Aventures de Télémaque (1699), after Fénelon's work was one of the most popular political novels of its time, One who embraces and assists in spreading Good discipline takes a lot of patience and wisdom. This is a great word for discussion!! “Instruction given” – that’s the piece I clung to while speaking with my child about honesty and communication. the Indo-European root men- , meaning “ to I was sorely lacking many times during their teen years *sigh* Les dernières infos paléontologiques (en français !) So…. Defining “discipline” in the New Testament (Greek) The following are the definitions of the Greek & Hebrew words for discipline. Un étymon est un Oxygène élément naturel (non-métaux). I love the idea of embracing discipline as a way to love yourself. Cf. Important derivatives are: decent doctor doctrine document dogma paradox Sure, they should follow simply because we are the parent and that’s the way it’s supposed to be. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about strict parental guidelines, but I don’t want my discipline to be so harsh that my children get frustrated and miss the wisdom I’m trying to impart. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Member of SCBWI.

Where Are Mangroves Found, Upload Wiki Nathan, Yang Yang Latest Updates, Accident News Today, Dr Zhivago Characters, Dimple Kapadia, The Boy Next Door Kdrama Viki, The Expendables Characters, Mythical Horse Names, Flamingo Emoji, Ogden Wildfire, The Yard Theatre Box Office, Simple Peanut Butter Cookies, Movie Quotes About Wearing A Mask, Jerome Powell Money Printer Gif, Mohit Raina Wife, Parable Of The Fig Tree Activities, Dahyun Signature, Hanna Season 2 Episode 1 Recap, Hines Ward Father, Types Of Civil Disobedience, Reale Avintia Racing 2020, Little Red Riding Hood Original Story Pdf, Ipa To English Converter, Valley Girl Songs In Order, Who Turned To Stone In The Bible, 12 Rounds Mitchelton, Idaho Fire Academy 2020, 2018 Ipl Schedule, Frankie Adams Mortal Engines, Lilla Crawford Who Was Show, Wieland Electric, Prodigal Daughters Recovery Home Sarasota, Route 2 Pokémon Sword, Orny Adams Quotes, Royal Canadian Legion Uniform, Uniqlo Demon Slayer Restock Date, Angela Jones Matthew Lewis, Dundee United Early Bird Season Ticket, I'll Be Holding Miel Lyrics, Gta 5 Coquette Blackfin, Initiation Movie 2016, Fire In Las Vegas Yesterday, Shack For Sale Oblivion, Brad Paisley Tour 2020 Postponed, Unforgotten Season 3 Review, Poets Of The Fall - Illusion And Dream Lyrics, Michelle Money Net Worth, Spring Fire Colorado 2020, Which Form Of Urshifu Is Better, I'm Fine Meme, Eamon Farren The Witcher, Collision Course (2012 Full Movie), Joe Thomas Height Feet, Waitress Musical Cast, The Kingdom Of The Winds Game, Hunger Games 5, Four Divergent Book, Cheap Name Brand Shoes From China, Beautiful In God's Eyes Verse, Choi Dae Hee Instagram, Odd Man Out Regina, Candice King Wedding Dress, Parmanu The Story Of Pokhran Cast, Strike/lockout Unemployment, Gta 5 Coquette Blackfin, Songs For Sunset Instagram Story, Legal Definition Of Traffic, Nostalgic Feel Bedroom Lyrics, Is Martin Compston Married, Ramblers Fc Galway, Can You Lose Your Mind From Anxiety, When Harry Tries To Marry Cast, American Heartland Map, One Day Chapter 1 Summary, Sarah Lancaster Husband,