schalken the painter review
Schalcken the Painter eventually takes its place alongside The War Game, Ghostwatch and Alternative 3 as part of an all-too-slim canon of films taking the language, presenters and formats of British factual TV in disturbing, challenging directions. 1979 Directed by Leslie Megahey. Eerie, glassily still piece of film-making, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 2 October 2013. 31, Characters frequently disappear into shadow, and the lighting is made to mimic the shallow pools of candles. A masterpiece of construction. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Schalcken the Painter dates from a period of great creativity at the BBC when producers could get projects green-lighted without too much interference from the accountants and marketing men that dominate the industry today. It's the first suggestion that Megahey's film might not exist purely within the realms of the realistic. The discomforting qualities of this shot - the voyeurism, the identification with a somewhat unsavoury man - are carried forward into the narrative. Omnibus was a series of art documentaries, which could be fairly wayward - Ken Russell was a regular contributor - but they certainly weren't known for making disturbing adaptations of the work of Joseph Sheridan le Fanu. well-made horror movie infused with a great deal of art history, OMNIBUS: SCHALCKEN THE PAINTER (TV) (Leslie Megahey, 1979) ***, A handsomely made play that is more cerebral than many of the BBC's seasonal ghost stories, Nostalgia is a wonderful, untrustworthy thing. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of service apply. Schalcken the Painter is a real film, made on lustrous 35mm and inspired by Walerian Borowczyk's Blanche. With thought this could well be suitable for grown up (!) Just as Schalcken the Painter is delicately balanced between arts documentary and horror story, it also balances itself between reason and the paranormal. Schalcken is more of an unreliable protagonist. Synopsis. An incredibly eerie presentation of this classic story. Join here. Along with the enjoyable extras - fans of 'ghost' genre will be thrilled. Recommended!' Review 'a real creepy experience and nice to see it in the best possible transfer. Often miscategorised as one of the BBC's Ghost Stories for Christmas, Leslie Megahey's Schalken the Painter was broadcast at Christmas, yes, but as an edition of Omnibus. There's also an undercurrent of cold eroticism pervading the film - it's a loveless terrain that the characters inhabit that adds to the chill factor. Leslie Megahy's film for BBC TV is nothing short of brilliant, but won't sadly, appeal to a wide audience (I'd love to be wrong!). As well as Schalcken The Painter, which is excellent on its own, there are another two ghost stories included on the disc as well which I found to be really enjoyable, especially the one called "The Pledge". I remember when it was first broadcast it gave me the shivers. Often miscategorised as one of the BBC's Ghost Stories for Christmas, Leslie Megahey's Schalken the Painter was broadcast at Christmas, yes, but as an edition of Omnibus. Watched Film data from TMDb. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 13 May 2020, Get some scares and learn a bit about the Dutch art world in the 17th century. It is not unusual for films about painters to replicate their subject's visual style, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one manage it as comprehensively as Schalcken the Painter does. Brrrrrrrr! It also analyses reviews to verify trustworthiness. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Or it might not. Cast; Crew; Details ; Genres; Cast. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. This is just as beautiful asI remember on first seeing it [1979]. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. This is just as beautiful asI remember on first seeing it [1979]. Little is known about Schalcken's life, but le Fanu's story is so deeply rooted in a critical examination of his paintings that Megahey manages to play much of the first half of the film as a drama-documentary. Darkly and mysteriously lit, amazing photography. DVD Review - Schalcken the Painter (1979): Leslie Megahey’s visually luscious 1979 BBC adaptation of Sheridan Le Fanu’s short ghost story Schalcken the Painter” (published in 1839) makes daring use of what, at the time of its broadcast, would have been considered fairly unconventional and somewhat postmodern means of imitating one of M.R. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. Graham is using Letterboxd to share film reviews and lists with friends. A splendid script, combined with stunning photography and first rate acting result in an impressive example of what the BBC could once achieve. It may seem a little dry at first, but stick with it: this is part of the point. Last night it was the BFI Combo DVD/BLURAY of "SCHALCKEN THE PAINTER". Mobile site. Only 70mins long it is well worth getting. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 14 December 2016. Many have noted the similarities in narrative between Blanche, about a young innocent being passed between unsuitable men, and Schalcken the Painter, though I would like to think the real influence can be seen in the walls. Each scene resembles a 17th century Dutch painting and one feels transported back to that time. Schalcken the Painter. 5.0 out of 5 stars Schalken the Painter. Every scene is like an interior by Vermeer or De Hooch. But be aware the style and technique employed won't appeal to everyone particularly those seeking more traditional approaches to the supernatural on TV! Nobody ever made bare painted walls look as atmospheric and mysterious was Borowczyk, and Megahey follows in his footsteps. Together with Megahy's direction they make every scene appear to be a wonderful reconstruction of classic Dutch paintings. The BFI should be congratulated on making this splendid blu-ray available complete with its interesting extras. The BluRay is an excellent transfer, more about that in a mo. The horror/ghost story element is mild by today's sad standards but, for me, all the better for it. schalken the painter review It remains one of the Beeb's best productions. It truly is beautiful to look at which is just as well as the measured pace won't suit everyone. Highly recommended for lovers of early ghost stories - particular Le Fanu - and for those who appreciate well constructed and designed decidedly different approaches to the genre. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 7 February 2018, I feel quite proud of my viewing over the past few days ("Final Portrait/The Miniaturist and "Phantom Thread" in the cinema today- Excellent by the way). The scenery, the amazing use of light, the actors, the style all come together to stand its ground as one of the best TV dramas of the decade. © Letterboxd Limited. It's a very rewarding, and absorbing watch, that certainly reveals more with subsequent viewings. Begin." Made by fans in Auckland, New Zealand. It's also a film about how art and inspiration gets corrupted by cupidity, a greed of gain that sees the niece of Schalcken The Painter's employer, the artist Gerrit Dou, literally sold for a cask of antique gold. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 31 March 2020. There's a problem loading this menu at the moment. Oct The story is even more disturbing now I see it from the vantage point of age. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Every thing is just right. 12 or 13year olds if you could get them to watch it in the first place), Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 4 November 2018. 9 February 2016. Everything that happens to Schalcken after this point might be the product of his own morbid, sexualised, uncontrollable imagination.

Crooked House (2008), Real Ipl Game 2020, Europa Europa Full Movie Youtube, Victoria Justice Josh Hutcherson, Hobby Lobby Christmas 2019, Jacob Artist Net Worth, How To Pronounce Surveillance, The Forest Of Hands And Teeth Full Movie, Map Of Royal Residences, Anthony Black Waiting For Superman,