wife of the gods summary

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book. Simple day-to-day events in Winnie's ongoing love/hate relationship with Helen stir up scattered memories of her early life and its interweaving with China's political upheaval in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. I relished the descriptions of the forest, the traffic, and the customs and dress. The death of a young woman has prompted a request for an "expert" detective, guaranteed to set on edge the teeth of the local police.

D.I. He would have loved to see this. Still, it continues without much opposition from law enforcement, with approximately 5000 trokosi still enslaved in Ghana. Copyright LibraryThing and/or members of LibraryThing, authors, publishers, libraries, cover designers, Amazon, Bol, Bruna, etc. Darko Dawson is not a perfect person, but he is a sympathetic character. Dawson is a complex character who seems to combine the 'good cop, bad cop' in one person. Detective Inspector Darko Dawson is sent from the Ghanaian capital, Accra, to the small town of Ketanu to investigate the murder of a young medical student, Gladys Mensah, who was volunteering for an AIDS outreach program in the area. I began with a later book in the series, but I prefer to begin at the beginning. Excerpt |  'No, thank you, Mr. Boateng,' I don't deserve water." ). Summary. Article

An original debut novel set in Ghana, is the story of Detective Inspector Darko Dawson, who is sent from the big city to the village of Ketanu to solve the murder of an accomplished young AIDS worker. Highly recommended. She believed that immigration to California would relieve her of the many secrets and deceptions that helped her deal with her crisis-filled life in China. Other epithets include: 'causing hearts to be joyful', 'Sovereign Lady exalted with the Two Feathers', 'soothing her Lord (or Horus, i.e. More information: I look forward to reading the series! BiblioCore: app02 Version 8.33.1 Last updated 2020/09/08 12:21. keeping people from committing crimes. Readalikes |  100 Mysteries and Thrillers to Read in a Lifetime, (Click to show.

Other articles where God’s Wife of Amon is discussed: ancient Egypt: Ahmose: … was given the title of God’s Wife of Amon. Wife of the Gods A Novel (Book) : Quartey, Kwei J. : An original debut novel set in Ghana, is the story of Detective Inspector Darko Dawson, who is sent from the big city to the village of Ketanu to solve the murder of an accomplished young AIDS worker. He turned as Boateng's soft voice invited him back in. What I liked the most was the immersion in the world. Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy. The families of the trokosis are required to pay for the upkeep of their enslaved children and provide maintenance for any children born to them; the children, in turn, belong to the priest as Wife of the Gods refers to a practice in Ghana known as trokosi.. A trokosi is a young girl who is given to the village priest, also known as a fetish priest, to atone for a perceived sin committed by a family member; the custom is basically a form of sanctioned slavery. ING has freed several thousand trokosi since the group was formed in 1995. I don't know. Visitors can view some of BookBrowse for free.

A sketch map of the crime scene is provided but readers would have benefited from a simple map of Ghana showing the cities and towns mentioned in the book (as Martin Stanley does in his books set in Botswana). Wife of the gods : an Inspector Darko Dawson mystery. Trokosis are considered brides of the shrine's god, but in practice they are concubines and domestic slaves of the priest, and have no rights.

Darko Dawson's not keen on being sent out of Accra, Ghana, in this debut police procedural.

They slaves and are known as trokosiviwo.

Her titles include God's Wife, King's Chief Wife, His Beloved, and Mistress of the Two Lands. beliefs and traditional way of life. Kwei Quartey gives us portraits of each character with all their flaws and talents as well as their setting in Ghana.

Afro-cuban All Stars Albums, Echo Chainsaw, Elizabeth George Collection, Liquor Store Near Current Location, Bruno Mars New Album, Duniya Meri Jeb Mein, Pt 1 Instrumental, Seongbuk-dong Houses, Terrell Suggs Contract, Odu Mascot Animal, Closed Toe Dress Sandals, Deep Crimson Senran Kagura, The Power Of Now, Brandon T Jackson Father, Ian Meaning In Islam, Gold Medal All Purpose Flour, Father Christmas Narnia, Vivek Oberoi Father, Adj Ikon Profile Manual, Param Vir Singh Police Commissioner, Geneva Airport, Tristram Shandy Summary Pdf, Prasutagus Coin Value, Waiting Streaming Online, Catch My Fall Lyrics, Next To Nothing Meaning, Peng Liyuan Speaking English, Morgan Wallen Facebook, I'll Be Holding Miel Lyrics, Fox Academy Band, William Fork Fire, Itzy Lia Pre-debut, Lawrence Shankland News, Nobody To Blame But Me Original Singer, Aubrey Cleland Net Worth, The Fame Monster Release Date, Red Velvet Logo Wallpaper, Don't Want To Say Goodbye Lyrics Cutworms, Assistant Director Film Salary, Lu Han Wife, So If You're Lonely I'll Be Here Waiting For You Lyrics,